Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Becoming Fearless - The First Few Steps

Ever since I started taking my anxiety disorder seriously, I set goals to overcome it. In the end, I decided my objective is to become fearless. Becoming fearless simply means that I am finally letting go of control. I need to let go of my desire to control every piece of my life.

I've had anxiety my entire life, but haven't taken it seriously until five years ago. For the last five years, I have been battling to let go of this control I feel I need to have on every single detail of my life.

Why Must I Have Control?
It's a bigger problem at work. I'm working in a call center, and before that I was a substitute teacher. Each day is a mystery. Is everything going to go according to my plan? Will I have to deal with little assholes?

These questions are applicable to both jobs, just FYI.

I need details. What do I need to do to have the best day ever? That's a bit much right? I totally agree! I'm so scared of negative outcomes that I feel I must do everything in my power to prevent them.

In the end, though, I know these do nothing. I know there are things out of my control. But for whatever reason, I still tried to keep it all within my control.

How Do You Learn To Let Go?
It's a learning process, that's for sure. Here are a few things I've started to do to anticipate any sort of daily outcome.

Anxiety journal
I write down what bothers me when I can. It usually gets it off my chest and I can move on. I usually write in shorthand so I can get it out faster.

Note of encouragement to myself
"You've got this today. You know what you're doing. This is just a job. You are still a talented creator." I'll usually read this whenever I start to feel overwhelmed.

Practice mindfulness before each shift
Click here to learn more about this practice.

Drink more water/Take deeper breaths
It's a silly, cutesy self-care tip that actually works wonders. Stay hydrated, and don't forget to breathe. I realized I was always struggling to catch my breath when I start to feel a growing panic attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment