Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

Simple Sanity Savers::The Passage Of Time

My call center job is going through a slow season, leaving me with large amounts of time to kill and little ways to fill it. We are to be alert and ready to answer calls, leaving me to go insane during the first few hours.

I'll take a call, and then...

I'll wait...
And wait...
And wait...
.... and wait.

And when I check the clock...
... I've only clocked in a few hours ago.

AH!

I decided to give myself a menial activity to do to help me keep my sanity.

At my job, I take notes with each and every call. Down in the lower corner, I began writing out time intervals for every 30 minutes. Here's what it will look like for me:



It looks ridiculous, and maybe it is. In any case, I do this every morning before I clock in. And as each hour passes, I can cross off another time.

It's an activity that serves multiple purposes. It helps me keep a grasp on reality, realizing that 8 1/2 hours is not an eternity. It also gives me a chance to look forward to crossing off each interval as it passes. Both purposes serve as distractions and helps qualm any anxiety that may develop.

Why Do I Do This?
I struggle with being in a normal office, and I hate the idea of giving 8 1/2 hours of my time doing something that isn't my passion. While I am working towards removing myself from this part of mainstream society, I still need to keep a job to keep a roof over our head. Until the time comes along where I can kiss this part of my life goodbye, I'll be constantly inventing new, simple, and utterly ridiculous things to make the days pass even faster until I reach the life I dream of rather than the one I dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment